Healthy Indian Diet Plan
According to the 2006 Hindu-CNN-IBN State of the Nation Survey, 31% of Indians are vegetarians, while another 9% consumes eggs.
Today vegetarianism becomes very popular all around the world with many Americans and Europeans switching to a new ‘meatless” lifestyle that prevents many diseases such as fatty liver, heart attacks, cancer and diabetes.
Benefits of Vegetarian Indian Diet Plan
In the past, many believed that vegetarianism is strange and unbalanced eating approach but correctly planned vegetarian diets are now recognized by many, including the American Dietetic Association, as being nutritionally adequate, and providing healthful benefits in the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
Indian Diet Plan Principles
Include the following products into your daily Indian diet plan menu:
- Two or three fruits (fresh or dry in your meals, or as a snack).
- Fresh vegetables with yogurt dressing, cottage cheese, kelp with the soy sauce.
- Steamed vegetables (they preserve all vitamins and minerals) or vegetable soups.
- Whole grains.
- At least three types of dairy products such as yogurt, cottage cheese, cultured buttermilk, or kefir. Cut down on whole milk, fermented cheese, sour cream.
- Nuts (almonds, peanuts, hazelnut, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts, cashew, pine nuts etc.).
Indian Diet Plan Menu
Freshly squeezed vegetable or fruit juice, green tea with lemon and honey or skim milk, whole grain cereal with one cup of skim milk.
Lunch (choose one)
- Cucumber salad with yogurt dressing and sesame seeds, one plate of rice with the lentils and carrots;
- One plate of buckwheat with vegetables and a table spoon of olive oil, steamed green beans, one serving of kelp with soy sauce;
- One serving of cottage cheese fresh fruits salad.
Dinner (choose one)
- Mixed greens salad with tofu, tomatoes and mushrooms, stewed vegetables with pita bread;
- Two soft-boiled eggs with spinach and whole wheat toast;
- One meatless burger with grilled or steamed vegetable medley, one plain yogurt and one apple.
To complement this diet drink plenty of water and try to eat a variety of vegetables and fruits. And to make sure you eat enough calories use our diet tools.